Sunday 1 June 2008

Spring is Truly Here!

While out cleaning the yard a few weeks ago, we noticed a new nest had been built in the fence. I had a quick peek without touching anything, and saw a single blue egg in the bottom. We quickly left nest alone, and have been keeping an eye on it from a discreet distance ever since. I think it's an American Robin's nest, but as I'm not much of a bird watcher, I could be wrong.

Just a few days ago, I saw some movement from my back window. Using the digital camera, I could zoom in pretty close. There was not just one chick, but three that I could see! I have a small surveillance camera that I'm trying to figure out how to hook up so I can get some better shots without disturbing the new family. Mom and Dad bird are busy feeding and such, and I'm afraid any real changes nearby will frighten them away.

When I went out to mow the lawn today, the parents were no where to be seen, but after I finished, they came back and had a load of worms for the chicks. The dog doesn't seem to bother them, and they leave her alone. I think it's something of a "live and let live" type of arrangement. Perse also keep any cats away from the nest.


I'm going to try to get some clearer pictures over the next few days. According to Wikipedia, they should only stick around for a month, and then all leave the nest within a few days.

No comments: