Sunday 29 June 2008

BBS Games.. How I miss them....


Well.. I've been playing around some with my home web-page server, and I've managed to install a really fun game. Solar Imperium. It's based on the old Solar realms Elite that was around in the old BBS days. You don't know what a BBS is?!

Back in the days before the internet, computers could dial into each other. Speeds were not what I would say impressive compared to today's standard, but back then there wasn't a lot of graphics to bog it down either. Just plain old text!

Anyway, you would log into the computer, and check your mail (much like today). There were files you could download, and all of that jazz... but what made it attractive was the ability to play games against real human opponents! These could be called the first real online games. This was long before MMO's hit the scene.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I've found a PHP version of the game, and installed it onto my server. You can access it through the main site, or directly. A link has been placed in the side bar for when this post scrolls away into archive heaven. NOTE: The game was removed. Thanks to all who tried it out!

Log in, and have fun!

No comments: