Wednesday 19 March 2008

Disaster!

Day before yesterday, I was watching a movie and relaxing. All was good. My computer was streaming the video to my Xbox 360, the video looked great.

Then it happened.

"The system has lost the connection to your computer."

Huh? Wierd.. There's no traffic on the LAN tonight except mine. I reset the connection and continued the movie. Not ten seconds later it did it again.

I went upstairs and decided to reboot the computer. As it went through it's start up backflips, the screen stopped on the Windows XP splash screen. And stayed there. For ten minutes. Then it said my system files were screwed and I should try to repair them.

What happened?!

Apparently, Windows decided to randomly delete a much needed file from my system folder, and of course, it was unrecoverable. I had to re-partition the hard drive to even copy files back to it, and lo and behold, 8 GB of space had become unusable.

I've ordered a new 250 GB sata2 hard drive, simply because I don't trust this one now that I've got it running again. The worst part of the whole fiasco is the fact that I lost everything on the hard drive. Emails addresses, bookmarks, stored emails... the whole lot.

Well... time to start rebuilding the system.

No comments: