Friday 23 July 2010

Windows are in!

A few days ago the contractor called and said my window was in! They installed it and now I'm quite happy. I took some pictures before during and after to work. The picture you see here to the left is what the window looked like before any work was done. Funny thing was one of the installers mentioned they could take down the fake shutters. I've hated those shutters since I moved in here. I always swore I would get rid of the damn things, and here's someone else telling me they agree. Needless to say, I had them pull them off!

So they arrived at around 10:00am on the day of the install, and had the old window out within half an hour of starting work. Seems the old window had nothing holding it in place except the brick molding and inside molding. The insulation was less than a one inch strip around the entire window. Even the installers were disgusted by the crappy work put into the original installation.


Installation of the new windows took about an hour to finish it. They left for a short lunch, then came back and insulated and finished the inside. All said and done, it was about two and a half hours total for the install. It looks great! There's no drafts by it now, and it cuts out a lot of the sound. Best of all, it has two side casement windows that open. Now, when it's nice outside I can open them and get a good breeze through the whole house.


The dirty spots on the sides will wash away as soon as I get a break from work to get at it. Next year, I'm hoping to put some new siding up on the front to cover the crappy wooden siding that's all beat up. Only a few more BIG cost projects before I can concentrate on the little stuff. More as it happens!

No comments: