Tuesday 16 June 2009

House Improvements, Phase 2

The next part of my home improvements will be starting shortly.

Last year was the office and bathroom in the basement, new shingles/roof repair, and a new furnace. This year is new windows, bedroom re-insulation, and some changes in the backyard.

One of the back bedrooms get so cold in the winter that if you have the door closed you will be able to see frost forming on the walls, and possibly your breath on really cold days. I'm pretty sure it's caused by a combination of poor insulation and leaky windows.

Since the windows are going to be installed in the next couple weeks, I plan on pulling the drywall down on the inside and checking the insulation. I'll more than likely re-insulate with new stuff, and then, of course, vapor barrier the whole thing. Up goes the new drywall and then the windows can go in. Paint, put back up the molding, and that room is done except for new carpet. Seeing as I am still thinking about how I want to do the floors (carpet or hardwood?) that can wait.

The backyard needs a bit of a face lift. No huge changes, just some maintenance and a new fence. Making a dog run for the poop machine, and bringing the grass back to a state of green, rather than yellow and dirt.

All in all, I'm planning on spending a solid week of work to get it all done.

No comments: