Wednesday 17 September 2008

Finally, a roof over my head!

The roofers were here yesterday to do the majority or the shingling and repairs to the roof. They got here bright and early, and were ripping off the old shingles at 7:30am.

By noon they had half of the house shingled!

The other half was completed by around 4:30pm. All that is left is the cap shingles. I guess the boss forgot to have them delivered for his crew yesterday, so they will be finishing it up today.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the job they did. They couldn't get the shingles I wanted (3-tab regular shingles with 25 year warranty), so they got the next step up: a high quality fibreglass shingle with a 30 year warranty. No extra cost to me!

Now I think I'll look at finally painting the fascia, as it's peeling and looks awful. Speaking to the neighboring duplex, we might just get it sheathed with aluminum next year. That way it will be done, and will not need any painting for a long time, if ever.

I've been tormenting poor Rob (my plumber room mate) about when the furnace will finally be installed. He's starting to get a little upset, so I might just lay off him for a bit. All we're waiting for is the tin smith.... STILL. Every time I ask he relays another reason why it hasn't been done yet: his pet died, he's got to go to his trade classes, the boss wanted him to do other jobs. Needless to say, I haven't been impressed by the tin smith's stellar performance. I think three months is more than enough time to do a new manifold for the furnace.

We may have a new person coming to live in the house. Graeme's little (actually he towers over all of us) brother has a new job here in the city. Luckily we have a room open in the house for him. All we need to do is finish sorting Rob's stuff that we moved from his ex-wife's out if it, and throw some paint on the walls. I would like to put down new carpet (and fix the bloody annoying squeak in the floor) but I don't have the spare money right now with the trip to Mexico coming up in 9 DAYS!

No comments: